Communication is the basis for all healthy relationships
Active listening let you listen more purposefully because you have your focus on getting the meaning or understanding that which the speaker is trying to put across. It involves being present, maintaining eye contact, and demonstrating that we are shifting our full attention to who is speaking and what they are saying.
We are hardly trained to listen actively. Even good listeners generally don’t listen actively all the time. To learn how to listen actively takes effort. We tend to fall back into passive mode where we only hear the words without necessarily putting an effort to understand what is being said. Those who have mastered the art of listening actively are the best communicators and they always get what the speaker means.
Listening actively is a skill that we must develop
Good communication is the basis for all healthy relationships. As a way to help improve your relationship in your social networks, at home and at workplace, you should to listen actively. Use the following techniques to be fully engaged in all your conversations:
• Focus your attention fully on what the speaker is saying
• Focus fully on the speaker and not on yourself
• Start by appreciating their perspective when it is your time to speak
• Be patient and give people time to finish talking before you can respond. Avoid getting ready to respond
• Ask polite questions in a non-judgmental and non-threatening manner as this will minimize the chance of emotions taking over
• Be involved by facing the speaker, leaning forward making open-palm, inviting gestures and so on
Active listening can improve all aspects of our lives. While it takes effort to learn active listening techniques, he benefits are worth the effort.