The traditional life transition documents are wills, trusts, durable power of attorney, advanced health care directive, life insurance policies and burial/funeral Instructions.
In addition, create a printable record of personal cyber details, i.e. a kick the bucket letter, to be written to facilitate the transition of a life’s critical information, both tangible and online, to one’s trusted family (e.g. heirs), with the following contents:
• Personal Computer(s) and Smartphone(s) Access instructions, such as passwords and pins.
• Critical File/Record access
• Backup files, disks and Cloud accounts.
• Tax documents, such as TurboTax® files.
• Online Accounts IDs/Passwords including password manager ID and password, if any.
• Contacts and access details (e.g. copy in safe deposit box or on personal computer) to the following:
• IDs: Birth certificates, social security cards, passports, citizenship papers, military ID
• Financial: Tax returns, stock certificates, investment records and accounts
• Healthcare: Immunization records, prescription info, insurance cards
• Family: Marriage licenses, divorce decrees, and custody or adoption papers
• Estate planning: Wills, trusts, funeral instructions
• Insurance: Policy info
• Benefits: Employment and government benefits docs
• Home and car: Proof of ownership, mortgage documents and vehicle deeds
• Contracts: Employment, rental and business
• Business: Recent tax and payroll returns
• Appraisals: Values of jewelry, collectibles, antiques and artwork
• Pets: License info and recent medical records
Consider combining in a package with:
• Copies of traditional key documents
• Safe Deposit Box Key(s) & Access
FOR FURTHER READING:
CyberGuardian: a SecureTheVillage Guide for Residents is available on Amazon.
A complete Security Checklist is available: https://www.nerdsiview.com/security-checklist-2/
References for Village Residents are available at SECURE THE VILLAGE: https://securethevillage.org/residents
© Alan Steven Krantz 2021