What does our name, “one item” stand for?
Simply put, One Item is the new millenium’s answer to the fallicy of “multitasking”.
About 30 years ago, the concept of “multitasking” peaked as a way to increase productivity. For instance, when employees are asked to do a variety of tasks with overlapping due dates, they might use multitasking to help them complete everything on time.
However, when we try to “multitask” we are sacrificing the power of full presence of mind, i.e. “focus”. Research indicates that multitaskers are actually less likely to be productive, however, because they FEEL more emotionally satisfied, it creates a false sense of accomplishment.
Here are some things we can do to improve our concentration and focus.
- If we want to be able to focus on one thing at a time, we must start by clearing our environment.
- Pick the thing that you fear most, the first thing when you begin
- Use the best hours of the day when our minds are clearest. This is sometimes referred to as the “golden hours”.
- Work in a space that is uncluttered, relatively quiet, and free of distractions.
- Meditate for 10 minutes or so before trying to focus. This will clear your mind.
- Use the Better Now app to uncover your “hidden obstacles”.
In this way, you can learn how to get more done by training your thoughts to put the focus on one thing at a time. Please watch for future articles on the topic of “focus”!