“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans “-Ronald Reagan
Snacks are usually the best way to pass hunger while waiting for the next meal. Unfortunately, unhealthy snacks are more popular than healthy ones. These include the typical potato chips and soft drinks which are usually high in salt, fat, and sugar. They are called empty calories because they contain high calories and low nutrient value at the same time. These mostly are fillers that ultimately causes several health disorders such as diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, and heart problems. Some examples would include junk foods like chips and soft drinks. On the other hand, healthier snacks are usually the ones that are rich in fiber such as fruits like bananas and apples.
According to the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 36.6 percent of Americans consume fast foods such as junk foods. The problem with junk foods is that they contain empty calories.
Choosing the Right Snacks:
– Go for fruits and vegetable which are high in fiber and nutritional value
– Choose whole-grain over simple flour products for crackers, breads, and other wheat-based products
– Try yogurt and cheese which contain beneficial gut bacteria for better digestion
– Eat nuts or nut butters which contain good fats which enhance brain function
– Stay away from foods that are high in sugar and sodium content